Thursday 19 September 2019

1/144 Aircraft Part 3 - Late war aircraft



The British and Commonwealth forces
After Magne insisted on Tigers, King Tigers, Jagdtigers and Panthers, I realised that I was going to have to do as the Allies did, and get myself some serious air power! Naturally, I had to have this personal favourite, what with four 20mm cannon, eight rockets and upwards of ten machine guns, whats not to like!?
Bought from Shapeways, the Bristol Type 156 'Beaufighter' was quite an expensive model, but once I saw those D-day stripes on her I stopped caring about the price tag. Now I just need to use her to full effect. 



Ze Germans
Naturally, Magne didn't care to be on the receiving end of my superior air-power without having some means to fight back and so I bought another Shapeways model, a Stuka. The first one I bought turned out to be an A model and so it was pretty worthless for my purposes. I then bought a second late war model and added a couple of under-wing 30mm cannons to make it into a 'Kanonvogel'.

Magne also decided he wanted more firepower so he bought a Heinkel He-111 from e-bay (which I built and painted for him in a late war camouflage pattern which I found on Pinterest). Over the course of the summer, Magne and I talked back and forth about bombers and fighters and this ended with the idea of creating two 'air forces', meaning two bombers and three fighters for both the Germans and the Allies. This meant a second He-111 and three Bf-109s for Magne and two B-25 Mitchells and three Mustangs for me (I'll post about them later). The B-25s and the second He-111 are currently still works in progress, but the three Bf-109s have been finished, one of which is a lesser ace, named 'Der Rote Teufel', hence the little red imp.

The Reds
Finally, I bought some Soviets too since I have a vague idea of a late war Soviet force at some point. I bought two IL-2 Shturmoviks and a Petlyakov Pe-2. I suppose I should buy some Soviet fighters too, but to be honest, late war Soviet fighters seem a bit boring to me and I doubt I'll bother. I'd much prefer to spend the money on some more Commonwealth planes instead. Some Typhoons or Spitfires perhaps...


For part 1, see here. For part 2, see here.

2 comments: